Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sigma 24mm-70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro


Finally bought myself the Sigma ( above pic taken with my LG Viewty not Nikon ) lens....actually I saw it at Abu Dhabi Duty Free few weeks ago on my way home but hesitation on my part prolonged my ownership of it. It all ended with me frantically calling one of my colleagues to buy it for me on his way back ( thanks a heap Melvin ).

In general, it is 3rd party compatible Nikon lens ( review here ) of ok make la...nothing to shout about when compared to pictures taken with original Nikkor lenses but good for low light condition shots.

This baby cost me AED 1670 ( approx RM1500 ) as compared to RM1700-1800 if I buy it here...and it comes with worldwide warranty.

The "bokeh" on this baby should be quite good for portraiture but should not be as good as my 50mm f1.8 nikkor looooh.

Neways, will be taking my new baby for a field test soon ( Angkor Wat ). Pictures will follow..

2 every1 his/her OWN..............


11 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, a fast zoom lens. But why the odd range? Seems more suited for a full-frame. Usually folks would go for a 17-50/18-55 f2.8.

3rd party lens will do la, spend so much for what? Hahaha

Jamie said...

you might be right to say that its more suited for a full framed cam ( maybe preparing for it..kekek ) but dunno why bro, I seem to like the range this baby has.

To me its more of a travelling lens than anything as my 18-135mm f3.5-6 has some limitations

The fucking UV filter costs a BOMB...82mm!!!!!

Unknown said...

Limitation as in when low-light, cannot use right?

Agree about the filters. I believe there's a worldwide conspiracy to rip off photogs using filters.

Btw, I got myself a Sigma 10-20 recently with a 77m filter thread.

Jamie said...

yalor....low light shutter speed like shit la...spoil a lot of memoralble once in a lifetime kinda shots liao. thats why I got pissed and got this baby

KNN, a 10-20...good lens...u into portraiture now? a 77mm thread? whats the f stop on the thing?

Unknown said...

I use the 10-20 for wide angle shots of landscapes (and sometimes, people). My bali set got examples of this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eng-bernie/sets/72157605961343676/

F-stop is f4-5.6. Low light also fail so must use tripod at night. My walk around lens is still my 18-200mm or 30mm depending on the light.

Portraits? No la.

Jamie said...

ya, with that f stop you will need a tripod..no choice unless your hands steady as hell.

Might get me one of these but have to let the storm from Wifey of buying this sigma lens pass first or I will surely DIE....

Jamie said...

visited your

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eng-bernie/sets/72157605961343676/

freaking nice photographs man...

I like the cartwheel pic

Unknown said...

Haha thx. Photography junkie here.

edtan5 said...

bro, still using your 50mm F1.8?
i've been wanting to test it :p

Jamie said...

my 50mm f1.8? still using it sometimes...

no problem if u want to test it, when can we meet?

edtan5 said...

lol.... i oso duno when haahahaa